ELEMENTS OF SELF-CRITIQUE
developing tools for empowered growth
Your connection to your work is the best thing about what you do. It’s what makes your art, yours. Learning to embrace the subjective, emotional parts of photography while still creating technically sound images is possible. You can move forward, grow, and get better on your own terms.
It’s time to stop thinking of “self-critique” as a mysterious process that mostly involves beating yourself up, and time to start thinking of it as a positive tool for continued and empowered growth.
No one else will ever care about your work as much as you do. In this four week course, I’ll help you use that to your advantage, and teach you the tools necessary to do so. I know it’s scary to open up this side of yourself. But if you trust me, I’ll help you move past perfection, past doubt, and past uncertainty, to a place where you can be your own most trusted voice.
What you will learn:
- why it’s important to re-frame self-critique as an empowering tool for growth
- how to identify your internal and external voices, and learn when to listen to each voice
- how both internal and external voices can serve or hinder your growth
- how to assess the elements within a single frame
- how to identify and overcome your emotional weaknesses
- how to identify and take advantage of your emotional strengths
- how to strengthen the story, flow, and connections within a set or series of photographs
- how to balance emotional detachment with emotional attachment
- how to trust your instincts and what to do when you worry your instincts are leading you astray
- how to be more aggressive with culling and curating in order to make your work stronger
- why you are drawn to certain things, and how to use that to your advantage
how to work through self-doubt and move forward with more self-confidence
This four week online interactive workshop will include:
- two written lessons each week
- a weekly video lesson to supplement the written lessons each week
- daily interaction and support from me
- a weekly assignment due each Sunday with individualized, detailed feedback from me via a screen capture video or written feedback
- a live Q&A chat with myself and the class
- silent students will be given their own section of the classroom to interact together
- at the conclusion of the course, students will receive a PDF of the course content
- an invitation to a private Facebook group so we can continue to support each other after the course is over
“This class was an amazing experience. I learned a lot about myself and my art through this process. Kate leads the class on an encouraging journey of self exploration which will result in a paradigm shift. Through this process, I recognized some untruths and unkind tapes I say about my art. Kate encouraged me to let go of these destructive voices resulting in growth in my art. While the skills are presented in the context of photography, these skills will easily carry over to many aspects of life. Not only did I grow in my photography through this journey of exploration, but I also grew in other ares of my life.”
To read more testimonials from past students go HERE.
This class is for intermediate to advanced photographers who have a solid handle on the technical aspects of the craft, and want to dive deeper into the less tangible parts of photography.
Active Seat $300 | Silent Seat $200
To learn more about the different types of seats offered, go to our FAQ section.
Dates of Next Class:
6/4/18 to 7/1/18
TO REGISTER GO HERE ON MARCH 21ST AT 12 NOON EST!