Written and Illustrated
photos are silent, give them a voice
We are only as close as parallel lines.
Art makes our own skin a suit others can slip into.
Find your way to the letter you need to write yourself,
Print the photographs to slide into the envelope,
Send it out to the world.
All writing is memoir, some wrapped in imagination.
In every photograph you will find the photographer.
Memory is alive in pictures in our heads.
Pictures in our heads only make it out alive in the blood of words we wrestle out.
We are the architects of our stories.
We are the meaning makers.
It is up to us to find the parentheses that the flow of real life leaves out.
Say it new.
Make it yours.
Use truth as noun, verb, and adjective.
Make poetry a prompt for image.
Make images an inspiration for narrative.
Let it mix together, ask the questions, answer them.
Tell us what happens when we reach the edge of the frame.
Give us the story of what came before it, and what comes after.
Show it with something we can see clearly, hold in our hungry hands.
Lace the visceral with truth, rim it with the glitter and glow and clarity of hindsight.
Say the risky things you knew and couldn’t the first time around.
By learning to pay attention to intersections in art and life,
We focus on the space in which more than one medium or concept come together.
Making bridges to our own histories
Telling stories with pictures.
Making pictures with words.
Everything starts with paying attention, in this wildly imperfect, fighting-through-it life right now, all of us living it in our own way. Love is art for me, and all art comes from the same place - our most pure and stripped away truth.
This class is about diving into that truth with every pore open, every tool sharpened.
What You Will Learn:
- Merge personal essay with photo essay.
- Experiment in different styles and mediums to expand the language in our artistic toolbox.
- Become familiar with metaphor as a tool to bridge mediums.
- Use and recognize visceral cues to give your work a heartbeat.
- Understand stylized voice to develop a more precise awareness of language.
- Understand visual language as a barrier we can cross over freely.
- Explore the concept of ‘synesthesia’ in art: mixing media and medium, telling emotional truth.
- Make personal maps, explore exercises, and experiment in different styles and writing forms to expand the language in our toolboxes.
- Experiment with new ways to express and voice what needs to be said out loud.
- Examination of short pieces by some of my favorite writers, using their example to guide exercises to help you recognize the arc of your own story.
- Conceptualization of projects to use what you will learn.
This 3 week online interactive class will include:
- Daily instructor interaction, question and answer on course material.
- Weekly assignments and daily exercises.
- In depth feedback and review of assignments.
- Two optional portfolio reviews: one during class duration, a second up to six months prior to completion to check in and address progress.
- Invitation to private Facebook group following completion of class.
- PDF/e-book to keep for reference and inspiration
“I'm well into my photography journey and writing felt like an interesting medium to explore alongside photography. (I'm not a writer and far from it) Amy's class was just that perfect boost to explore yourself and your life inside and out and write about it. Amy is very open and encouraging and creates a very safe place to put your thoughts down no matter how simple or complex they are. She gives you keys to open many doors and find paths and find writing. There are no rules. She gives excellent feedback to help you move forward and forward only. If you feel you want to communicate alongside your visual images, this class is for you.”
To read more testimonials from past students go HERE.
Active $250 | Silent $ 200
To learn more about the different types of seats offered, go to our FAQ section.
Dates of Next Class:
2/5/18 to 2/25/18
Please message me with any questions HERE.
To register go HERE on November 29th at 12 noon EST